Friday, August 15, 2008

Annoying System Beep Sound

Few weeks ago, I was working on one of the SCCM issues and I was reading the execmgr.log using Trace32.exe. Annoyingly each time I select/highlight a row in the logs, the system speaker would starts beeping.


Well there are several methods to solve a problem actually. In few years back, I might have the idea of disabling the system speaker, or just open up the CPU and unplug the cord which connecting from the machine’s mainboard with speakers. However this time, I would spend some time on it and find out what really causing the system speaker to beep. The tools that I would be using are Process Monitor from SysInternal.


From the Procmon trace, it shows that trace32.exe was anxiously searching for a wav file which having an improper name. Now we knew that the System Beep was triggered as Windows having issue on finding a proper *.wav file when an event was triggered. This raised another question, “What event was triggered? And where it defines the wav file to be played?”. Looking back to the Process Monitor, it actually point me to HKey_User\[UserSID]\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Default\CCCSelect\.current . Upon open up the keys using Registry Editor (Regedit), it clearly shows that the key carries some weird ASCII values in the Data field. By delete the value from the specified key, it actually solves my issue. Now no more annoying beep sounds from system speakers anymore. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear can u design a software for nokia n70 where you combined call recorder with beep off while talking and then beep on after the talk is over. Let all these facility be in one package only...!! You are my bravoo and i know you would not disappoint me. My email ID is intvn@hotmail.com, and my mobile number is +919811637048