Monday, February 11, 2008

Program Compatibility Assistant with UAC monster

I better blog this down before I forgot the solution for this again. Today after I came back from JB, I happily open up my internet browser from my start menu. Everything startup as usual, and then suddenly my browser froze, and there you see the most friendly invention that Windows Vista has included. (Alrite I have to take apple quicktime control panel as example as I have no idea on how to crash my Internet Browser for the second time)

Of course as usual you would says that "Alrite, use the recomended settings to solve my problem" and it comes up with the most familar User Access Control Prompt. Click on "Continue" to move on and my browser was shutted down. Hence I open up my browser again, and guess what... From this point onwards, I had been prompted for UAC each time I open my Internet Browser. Obviously problem has come. Is all fine to click the "Continue" button on the UAC prompt each time it appears in order to use my browser. However if you are familar with UAC, you would know that it means that my Internet Browser would have full administrator token and happily strolling on the internet. Damn risky..

Well the lucky part is that I remembered that there is a way to revert back the settings. The unlucky part is I have clean forgotten which registry keys are keeping my browser run as administrator. Google would not be the best solution as I don't know how to put it as a keyword. LOL... After hanging around on the HKey_Local_Machine registry hive, I decided to call my colleague (Kah Fei) for help. He advised me to look around in the Windows NT registry key, and indeed within a few seconds, I found it.

It was actually hidden in HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers. Remove the value which contains the path of your program and that's it. No more UAC prompt.

Hope it helps you if you encounter the same thing in future. :)

0 comments: