Friday, September 22, 2006

Nokia N70

Wohoo.. I finally got this baby on last tuesday. This phone really impress me with its amazing speed, although it might be slow for some people, but hey.. for me it was fast enough. Compared to my old Nokia 6600, one of the ancestors of the S60 clan, N70 has an amazing speeds.

It was a busy week for me, not really busy but spend most of my time in the office. :P Hence I don't have really much time to fully explore my baby here. Well, the phone same as me, a banana who doesn't recognize chinese characters. Though N70 has the firmware that supports chinese font, but not for mine.. :( So no choice, I installed the chinese stars (which work charms in my Nokia 6600) into my N70. Too bad, it doesn't really work in N70 as the font still fail to renders. Then without giving out, I tried with the good old Q9 which is a chinese input software that work with most of the S60 phone from 3650 till my previous 6600. Too bad, in N70 case, the font is still not there. After some google work for few hours, FINALLY.. the are some software written by china or hk people called gpfep. It comes with mmcfonts plugin which enable the phone to renders the chinese characters. Now currently I am using gpfep fonts and input with the good old chinese stars. (As I too lazy to visit Nokia Center to get the firmware upgraded).

Apart from the chinese software, the webcam software refused to work too. I still can't get it worked till this moment and hopefully I can found another way of getting it works. My good old TV remote control also discarded as N70 doesn't has a IR port. At least it was not too bad as I seldom watch TV. :P

Comparing the audio quality, it somehow dissapoint me. Perhaps I am expecting too much from Nokia phone to be par with Sony Ericsson's walkman series audio quality. Yet if compared to my old Nokia6600, N70 was far far better. I will try to get my Pop-Port audio adapter which converts the jack to the standard 3.5mm port within this few weeks. With this port, I can test the audio quality further with my altec lansing speaker. I do reserve some hope on the quality. :P

For image quality, N70 as a 3G phone, it comes with dual camera which 0.3Megapixel infront and 2.0 Megapixel at the back. For the front camera, it was extremely terrible. The noise of the picture are very high, especially at the poor lighted condition. However the noisy reduce significantly under well lighted area. For the back camera, I like the way which we slide the cover to activate it. It save the trouble from navigating all the way in the menu to get the camera activated. The quality was acceptable yet we don't compared it to the Sony Ericsson phone again as SE camera has the autofocus. Yet, the absence of the autofocus in N70 doesn't make the camera too bad. In N70, there are several picture mode which you can choose and see which mode suits you better. (The setting revert back to default whenever I close the camera slide :S )

As for the memory expension, it uses dv-rs-mmc so the cards of my n6600 could not be compatible with it at all. The funny thing is, I've to figure around 5mins on how to get the tiny little mmc out of the tiny slots there. LOL.. Talking about tiny, the button (2) is really close with the navigation pad which I often face the problem of pressing the button (2). Remind you guys, my finger was not the really big, yet I face this problem. So for those who was big finger, I doubt you can press the button (2) happily without accidentally pressed the navigation pad. Oh ya, press and hold the (#) button does not switch your active line to line 2 already. Instead, it is a fast switch between your current profile to the silent profile and vice versa. It is pretty good isn't it? ;)

One thing I found out is N70 really want us to get to the gallery very much. Why? coz there is a gallery shorcut at the active panel, and the new media key (which appeared on N-series phone) gets you to the gallery too at the default settings.

K la, thats all for the short review for the N70. I'll continue my review when I am free to explore it futher. Below is the picture of my new N70 taken by the good old N6600. :P


And this is the picture taken by my N70.. XD (Unedited)


My humble phone desktop (Please ignore the littlway watermark at the middle XD)

0 comments: